Other Services

EnCOMPASS – Multicultural Aged Care Connector Program provides FREE personalised one-to-one support

CASS Care has been proudly selected as one of the 22 partners to deliver EnCOMPASS Multicultural Aged Care Connector Program, aiming to help culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) seniors navigate the My Aged Care.

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 
Many older people from migrant backgrounds struggle with the complexity of the aged care system and cannot access the services they need. Therefore, funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health, the Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Council of Australia (FECCA) – Australia’s peak multicultural organisation, partnership with 22 organisations launched the EnCOMPASS Multicultural Aged Care Connector Program to address these issues.
Our Mandarin, Cantonese and Vietnamese speaking EnCOMPASS connectors πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ provide FREE personalised one-to-one support to help you overcome the language barrier and apply for government-funded aged care services. Our connectors are able to respond to seniors’ cultural needs and deliver culturally appropriate services to the multicultural communities.
Please get in touch with CASS EnCOMPASS Connectors:
πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ Ms Lila Yin (Mandarin and Cantonese)
πŸ“ž Phone: 0456 913 409 / πŸ’» Email: Lila_Yin@cass.org.au
πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈ Ms Van Trinh (Vietnamese)
πŸ“žPhone: 0437 836 148 / πŸ’» Email: Van_Trinh@cass.org.au

🎞🎞 【CASS EnCOMPASS Connectors: your “My Aged Care” solution】- Video introducing how EnCOMPASS program and our connector to help you!

πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ€·β€β™€οΈ β€œAm I eligible for Government subsidised aged care services?”

To qualify for β€œMy Aged Care” assessment, you MUST meet some age and needs requirement:

πŸ‘‰ You are 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people)

πŸ‘‰ How much assistance you need with some everyday tasks, here are some examples of eligible conditions:

β€’ noticed a change in what you can do or remember;

β€’ have been diagnosed with a medical condition or reduced mobility;

β€’ experienced a change in family care arrangements, or;

β€’ experienced a recent fall or hospital admission.

Frequently Asked Questions about Application and Assessment of “My Aged Care

❓ Q: My parents are aged 65 and over, can they register with β€œMy Aged Care” for assessment?

πŸ‘‰ A: Apart from age requirement, applicant of β€œMy Aged Care” needs to be an Australian permanent resident or citizen. If you are looking for some help with day-to-day tasks around the house such as shopping, cooking or personal care, you can apply for a free 90-minute assessment for the eligibility of Home Support Program.

❓ Q: Can I ask my family member(s) to help register with β€œMy Aged Care” for me?

πŸ‘‰ A: Yes, a family member, friend or carer can support you to apply but they need to get your consent first. This involves registering the person as your representative. With your permission, they can complete the application or talk on your behalf.

❓ Q: My parents and I want to apply for β€œMy Aged Care” but English isn’t my first language. Is there support available?

πŸ‘‰ A: Yes, you can contact our EnCOMPASS connectors for assistance anytime. We have Mandarin & Cantonese Speaking Connector as well as Vietnamese Speaking Connector to provide FREE one-on-one support through accessing β€œMy Aged Care” until a care plan is developed. Our connector will take a personalised and tailor-made approach to provide culturally appropriate information and assistance on how to access aged care services. You will not be alone during the application process.

❓ Q: My father is physically healthy, but unfortunately, he has got a serious illness recently and discharged from hospital for a month. Can he apply in this case?

πŸ‘‰ A: Yes, Short Term Restorative Care is probably the best option for him in this situation. This service supports the seniors with short term (up to 8 weeks), flexible and intensive help to restore their ability and well-being after a hospital stay, thereby deferring their entry into higher level of care. You can apply with β€œMy Aged Care” for Short Term Restorative Care service.

❓ Q: Can I apply β€œMy Aged Care” for my partner if he is living with dementia but physically healthy?

πŸ‘‰ A: Yes, seniors with dementia can apply for an assessment of β€œMy Aged Care”. The applicant will be asked about the current health condition and the help required, assessor will make an appropriate study and assessment to ensure the services offered can accommodate the applicant’s needs.

❓ Q: My wife and I are going to be 80 years old, we are physically active but without any family support and care. Are we able to apply β€œMy Aged Care”?

πŸ‘‰ A: YES, if certain home support is necessary to keep you well and maintain daily routine to live independently, you can apply for assessment. For example, some seniors may need help with shopping and home cleaning, a free assessment through My Aged Care will determine which kind of care and support you are eligible to receive.

❓Q: I live with my parents, but I am not able to take them to medical appointments or shopping very often due to my busy schedule. Can I apply for them under this situation?

πŸ‘‰ A: YES, not every grown-up child is able to take care of the daily needs and specific health care of his/her parents. If the seniors are unable to manage their daily routines to keep them well or without sufficient care from any family member for their health needs, that means they might need help with home support. β€œMy Aged Care” is available for application under this situation.

The first step to access government-funded aged care services is to check your eligibility for an assessment. If you have checked that you are eligible, what is the next step?

πŸ‘‰ You need to get assessed, you can do it online or over the phone.

1️⃣   Apply ONLINE

You can apply for an assessment online at https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/assessment/apply-online. You should ensure that your Medicare Card and one other form of ID proof are with you before you start. The applicant is required to fill in the name, date of birth, contact details, current correspondence address and other support information. The process takes around 15-20 minutes.

2️⃣   Apply over the PHONE

You can call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to apply for an assessment.

My Aged Care contact centre (Freecall*)

Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm

Saturday: 10am to 2pm

Closed on Sundays and national public holidays

*1800 numbers are free from landlines and most mobile phones. Check with your mobile phone provider for more information.

The online application is quick and easy but if English is not your first language, CASS Care has Mandarin, Cantonese and Vietnamese speaking EnCOMPASS Connectors who are ready to offer you help and assistance.  

Our friendly and knowledgeable EnCOMPASS Connectors can provide FREE personalised one-to-one support to help you go through the process step by step. Contact our EnCOMPASS Connectors today about your needs and circumstances.

Listen to our community workers interviewed by SBS to learn more about this program:

Mandarin: https://www.sbs.com.au/chinese/mandarin/zh-hans/audio/cald-community-elderlies-can-get-one-to-one-help-for-registering-for-my-aged-care-through-encompass-program

Cantonese: https://www.sbs.com.au/…/how-encompass-helps-your…

Vietnamese: https://www.sbs.com.au/…/chuong-trinh-encompass-ket-noi…

Question about making appeal or reapplying for assessment of “My Aged Care” assessment:

You may have inquiries about the My Aged Care assessment outcome, especially for making an appeal or reapplying for the assessment. For example:

πŸ€”Q: My father is in his 70s. He has elderly diseases and has many inconveniences in his life, so I applied for a My Aged Care evaluation for him, but he didn’t get anything. What can I do in this situation?

πŸ™‹β€β™€οΈA: If you have any concerns about your assessment or do not agree with the outcome of your assessment, contact your assessor or your service provider. They can explain to you the assessment process and the outcome. If you do not know their contact details, you can check with My Aged Care.

Alternatively, if you have contacted the assessor or the service provider but are unable to resolve the issue or do not agree with the outcome, you can raise your question and make a complaint at My Aged Care.

If you need assistance in contacting your assessor or applying My Aged Care Services, please don’t hesitate to contact CASS EnCOMPASS Connectors.

【A Thank you letter to our EnCOMPASS ConnectorπŸ₯°γ€‘

β€œCASS helped me to apply for the government-funded Aged Care services, which I failed to apply a few years ago.” A senior wrote in his thank-you letter.

In this thank-you letter, the senior spoke highly of the EnCOMPASS program and our connector. He shared his experience of how he was encouraged by our connector to re-apply for the government aged care services.